Wednesday, June 15, 2011

We Love to Fly and it Shows…

By: Jeb Crandall
BleekeDillonCrandall

As I was working my way through airport security a few weeks ago, I overheard someone in line complaining about the amount of security involved and the “invasion of privacy” he had to endure before boarding a plane. While I didn’t actually do it, I really wanted to turn around and ask him where in the Constitution are we afforded the “Right to Fly?” I may not have paid close attention every day in Constitutional Law class, but I’m fairly certain that clause is nowhere to be found. We should consider ourselves beyond fortunate to live in a time so technologically savvy that we can travel from coast-to-coast in only a few hours, and across seas in just a few more. With each new-found advancement comes the risk of greater trouble and potential for disaster. Therefore, our security measures must keep advancing as well. I am all for personal freedoms, but sometimes we have to make an exception for the good and safety of us all. If this takes an extra “pat down” or scanner that can see through our clothing, so be it. Would anyone really prefer the other option of what can and has happened during air travel? I don’t think so. So, for those who believe that their own individual liberty interests to be free from a security screening outweigh the good and safety of all of us, please feel free to travel this great land of ours the way our forefathers once did – by horse and buggy.

No comments: