Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The "World" Cup

By Brandon Milster

Like most of you out there, I followed the United States as they progressed through the first round of the World Cup and to a disappointing end in the first match of the knock-out round. Also like most of you out there, I have not watched one single soccer match since the last World Cup in 2006. I guess I would call myself a fair-weather-fan or a band-wagon-jumper, but I’m guessing I’m not the only one out there.

I know that soccer is, arguably, the most popular sport in the world, and I’ve heard all the stories about the riots and blatant criminal acts that take place after a big win or disappointing loss around the world. The fact is, however, that soccer will just never be that popular in the U.S. Sure, the Nation tunes in for those couple of matches the U.S. plays every four years, and everybody gets a little bit of “soccer fever,” but the irrefutable truth is: no one really cares. Living in such a professional-sports-rich country, there just simply isn’t room for another “major” sport. The NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB simply draw too many fans, recognition, and, most-importantly, revenue for soccer to ever be mentioned in the same breath.

Don’t get me wrong, I am in no way discounting how talented our (and the rest of the World’s) players are or how much athleticism and endurance it takes to play one match. All I am saying is that soccer is a day late and a buck short when it comes to professional sports in the U.S. Maybe someday that will turn around or maybe someday the U.S. will win the World Cup, but right now, all we have is a mediocre team playing a mediocre sport. Let’s not hold our breath.

No comments: