Monday, November 30, 2009

Adopt a Pet this Holiday Season

By Carol Dillon

As I watched my dogs pace around my mother-in-law's kitchen the day after Thanksgiving, hoping someone would drop a turkey scrap or that someone would give in and give them some potatoes, I felt very blessed to have my two dogs. They are the only two people in the world who are happy every single time I walk into a room. If I've had a horrible day and I am feeling low or sad, seeing my dogs always makes me feel better. They love unconditionally and don't ask for anything but food, water, exercise, and attention.

Sometimes when my clothes are covered in dog hair after sitting on my couch, or when I find a dog hair in the dinner I just cooked, I think what my house would be like if I didn't have dogs in it. My house would certainly be cleaner; it would probably smell nicer; and I wouldn't have to worry that when company comes over, they are going to be mad that there is dog hair on their clothes, no matter how much I already vacuumed the couch. I'd also save money not buying dog food, treats, endless squeaky toys, and expensive yearly trips to the vet. But I'd be missing so much more without them. I'd miss Gertie's face in the window when I pull into the driveway and the way she wiggles up to me when I walk in the door. I'd miss the way Fletcher doesn't get up off the couch when I walk through the door, but rolls onto his back and wags his tail until I come pet his belly.

Find it in your heart to adopt a pet from your local animal shelter this holiday season. The animal shelter is full of loving, funny animals who just want a home and a little attention. They may not be designer, well-trained, pure bread dogs, but I guarantee they'll always be happy to see you. In the alternative, go through your linen closet and instead of throwing away old sheets, blankets, and towels, donate them to the animal shelter and help keep animals cleaner and warmer this holiday while they wait to be adopted.

No comments: